Sunday, November 10, 2013

Travel Throwback: Riviére du Loup ( Au Pain Gamin )

Au Pain Gamin is THE bakery of Rivière du Loup. I would not leave that town without trying some freshly baked sweets so after classes and workshops one fine Tuesday, Rebecca, Erika and I ventured towards the smell of fresh baguettes, croissants, and chocolate/pistachio biscotti.




First up; chocolate cheesecake. 
It may appear totally normal; super rich and chocolatey, the surprise is when you cut into it and...

Bam! You find sweet cream cheese in the middle. I would be much happier if they went heavier with the cheesecake; the air bubble makes me feel somewhat duped (always wanting more cake). 

Next up, I got Erika to pick a cake she wanted to try and she went with a white chocolate/pistachio cake that was my favourite. The pistachios on top are such a bright colour that it's hard not to drool a bit. After this, I also realized I love pistachios. This cake was moist with just enough icing, so I would definitely reccomend this one.

Rebecca also succumbed to the pressure of delicious pastries and got this chocolate filled pastry. I could barely ask her how it was before it was finished. 

The majority of that week, the RDL-plague has fallen upon us and the majority of my friends actually got sick. I decided to pick up some biscotti for them while I was there. With the cakes being about $9 together, I was surprised when I bought three pieces of biscotti and only payed about a dollar and some for each. Plus, these biscotti were REALLY good. 


It was a chewier biscotti so they probably used butter in it. I thought this was awesome; definitely the highlight of my Au Pain Gamin adventure. It was so good it even inspired me to try making some biscotti myself. [ link coming soon ]

It's a bit on the pricier range depending on what you get, but keep in mind that it isn't exactly a chain whatsoever. Their baguettes are also really good! We had one for our last Culture québecois class at the end of the program. 

No comments:

Post a Comment